Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pending Divorce

When I counsel an interfaith couple contemplating marriage, I always ask them to imagine what their life together will look like in five, ten, and twenty years. These pictures vary greatly. While no one can predict the future, and many things - positive and negative - give direction to our personal journeys, it is important for partners to hear each other's dreams. This is particularly important because the future that couples imagine as adults is often different from what they pictured as their adult lives when they were children, or even a few years earlier. It is also helpful for me to hear what each partner has to say aloud, so that I can identify for them what issues are yet to be resolved before they make a long-term commitment to each other.

From Making a Successful Jewish Interfaith Marriage
by Rabbi Kerry M. Olitzky and Joan Peterson Littman

I finished reading this book yesterday and while interesting and instructive, it didn't really apply to my particular intermarried situation. My wife and I were married when neither one of us were religious and my wife's Jewish mother (her father wasn't Jewish) died many years before we met. My wife's mother had estranged herself from her family on the East Coast decades before, so I had no Jewish in-laws with whom to relate, and so at that time, 100 percent of what this book talks about didn't exist for me.

That has changed considerably...but my marriage isn't what I want to talk about.

At different points in the book, as the authors were describing the various challenges facing intermarried couples, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the "relationship" of the Jewish and Gentile disciples of the Jewish Messiah who have chosen a "Messianic" (for lack of a better term) expression of their faith (as opposed to a traditional Christian model). In many ways, our relationship with each other is like a mixed Jewish-Gentile partnership in terms of the difficulties we face and the hurdles we must overcome.

But sometimes it feels like a "shotgun wedding"; something arranged by someone outside of the couple and perhaps something either the "groom" or "bride" never really wanted.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” -Matthew 28:19-20
Meet the guy holding the "shotgun".

If Yeshua hadn't given this directive, I suppose things would have been a lot easier on everyone. Judaism in all it's variations would be wholly owned and operated by Jews and any non-Jews who entered the doors of a synagogue would be God-fearers and Noahides...a minor subset of the overall population. Assuming Paul wasn't chosen (and if there was no Matthew 28:19-20, why would he have been chosen) to be an emissary to the Gentiles, Gentiles would have continued to be idol worshipers and pagans, probably to this very day. Maybe Messianic Judaism would have been maintained as a Judaism recognized by all the other variations instead of seen as a form of Christianity.

Olitzky's and Littman's book tells a story (it's not written in a way that's easy to quote, so I'll just tell it outright) of a married couple who attended a Reform synagogue for many decades. The Jewish husband died and was buried in a Jewish cemetary. His wife continued to go to shul, be an integral part of the Jewish community, and live like a Jew well into her 90s, when she also died.

People had forgotten that she had never formally converted to Judaism (a decision made originally to avoid hurting her Christian parents when she was first married) but her will stated that she wanted to be buried next to her husband. She had purchased the plot and all was in order...except she wasn't Jewish. Apparently there was a huge debate on the matter since the woman lived a lifestyle just as Jewish as anyone else in the synagogue for almost 70 years. The responsible authorities finally agreed that the woman should be buried next to her husband, but several Jewish families left the synagogue permanently over the decision.

Isn't life swell?

I know someone's going to come along and quote culture, tradition, and law and say that this elderly woman's wishes should have been denied because she never formally converted, but like Ruth (who is an ancestor both of David and the Messiah), she lived an absolutely Jewish lifestyle for the vast majority of her days, perhaps more Jewish than many born but secular Jews.

At what point does tradition and halachah give way to compassion?

One of the book's authors, Joan Peterson Littman, converted to Judaism quite some time ago and leads classes for intermarried couples in her Jewish community. She tells the following story:
The more we learn, the more we discover how much we don't know - even after living a Jewish family life (convert to Judaism or not) for many years. But the feelings of "otherness" don't always go away. Joan reminds us, "I still get scared, after living a Jewish life all these years. I recently walked into a Jewish day school in the community in a swarm of teenage boys wearing yarmulkes. They all gave me the look, which I interpreted as 'What is she doing here?' - what I have come to call my 'goyim alert'. Later I came to understand that they were simply curious, wondering what I, an unfamiliar face, was doing at the school." It's easy to be defeated and feel afraid, to feel that you may never "get it", and disengage as a result. But it is far better to be motivated now and prepare for the life ahead of you. Rather than seeing the "long road" as a "long haul", join us as we see it, as a road filled with opportunity and joy.
One of the reasons I'm leaving the "Messianic world" this summer after many years is because I don't see road filled with opportunity and joy. While I can read an intent in the Apostolic Scriptures for a role for Gentiles in the Messianic community, I don't really see one. The recent "battles" over the acceptability (or lack thereof) of One Law and Two-House "participants" points out that, despite the fact that the majority of people in "formal" Messianic Judaism are Gentiles, we still struggle, like in the stories I just related, to fit in and be accepted. We are never sure we are "part of the family". I've heard stories of people who were adopted, grew up, got married, lived to middle age, and yet still were never sure that anyone truly loved them, all because they were given up they their birth parents.

Sure, Yeshua can say "make disciples of all nations, yada, yada, yada", but it took 15 years for that directive to even start to be enacted. It also required God to give Peter a special "nudge" (see Acts 10) before he got off the dime and visited the house of a righteous God-fearer. To this day, the Jews who worship the Messiah don't really want us there, particularly if we are tainted with having a "One Law" background or history.

My wife is (non-Messianic) Jewish so we are intermarried, and she has a more willing acceptance of my faith and religious orientation than most Jews who believe Yeshua is the Messiah. My daughter, who is also not Messianic, was surprised when I told her I was planning on leaving my congregation. No, she'd never step foot in the door, but she knows that I (at least at one time) felt that it was the right place for me to be.

While I'd like to think I have friends among Messianic Judaism, at least in a "virtual" manner (since we've never met), I don't know what to do to make this "marriage" work. We were "forced" together by the Messiah and by the Apostles, but the Messiah's latter day Jewish disciples are having a hard time with us and all our "Gentile goofiness".

While a lot of people have become particularly angry lately over all these matters, I'm not angry at anyone. I feel disappointed and a little depressed at watching "the dream" die. I commented on Gene's blog that I had my doubts I'd be invited to the Matthew 8:11 feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. I know that Gene, Yahnatan, Derek, and a number of other blogosphere denizens have said I'd be welcome in their communities and that we could "break bread" together, but what about the rest of us? There are a lot of good people out there who frankly, just don't know any better. Yes, I've also met a lot of people who have "alternative" theological ideas that border on "cultish" and some people of questionable mental stability, but there are also many, many sane, responsible, compassionate, and loving people who are dedicated to the Jewish Messiah and who honor the living God. What about them?

If the "partnering" of Jews and Gentiles in the "Messianic" movement is like an intermarriage, then the relationship is in trouble. I get the feeling that my "partner" wants a divorce and never actually wanted to get "married" in the first place. Olitzky and Littman expose the challenges of a Jewish-Christian intermarriage, but they ultimately paint a picture of hope and welcome. For those of us who have a common devotion to the Jewish Messiah, do we dare hope at all? What will our life together look like in five, ten, or twenty years? Or will there be a "together" at all?

The road is long and often, we travel in the dark, ignoring the light of the world. Look for the lamp who lights your path or you may become lost in the dark forever.

"A Jew never gives up. We're here to bring Mashiach, we will settle for nothing less." -Harav Yitzchak Ginsburgh

21 comments:

Rick Spurlock said...

Although it may seem that BE represents the "Jewish" side of the marriage, it is only appears that way because BE seems to have the loudest voice and that is what they project. The fact is, Dan is not alone: there are many Jews in Messianic Judaism who reject BE, and get along just fine with their Gentile brothers.

Maybe the pending divorce is not between Jew and Gentile, but between BE and the rest of us in Messianic Judaism.

B"H

Jon said...

I heartily agree with Yahnatan: You are welcome at Beth Messiah in MD. If a trip to the DC area is ever in the works, let us know.

I have mixed emotions about this post.

It is difficult to observe anyone struggle..especially when it is such a big struggle...and even more so when the person begins to feel it is a losing battle.

I have hope that one day there will be one clear answer. Clearly, we don't have one at this point and the bloom (as it were) is off the rose.

I can't help but think that it didn't have to be this way for you, but of course, I am not privy (nor should I be) to all the inward machinations and ins and outs of your life.

I DO believe that gentiles can (and do) have a meaningful place within Judaism (Messsianic or otherwise). Through this blog you have exemplified that.
Your struggle with and honor of the Jewish tradition is admirable...and I don't believe that it is wrong.
Can I say that about every gentile within MJism? No.
But I can say it about you.
That means something (to me anyway).

If the path before you stays the same, I believe that Messianic Judaism will be losing an asset this summer.

That said: you have to do what you have to do! No issue with that.
I just wish it could have been different.

Gene Shlomovich said...

"Maybe the pending divorce is not between Jew and Gentile, but between BE and the rest of us in Messianic Judaism."

Rick, you got that part 100% right - those of us who are in the Jewish Messianic Movement are not divorcing from our Gentile brothers and sisters. In fact, the opposite is true. Many of us have never drawn as close as we are today - especially by creating new bridges to Gentile Christians in all of the many denominations of Christianity.

"there are many Jews in Messianic Judaism who reject BE"

When you say the above you betray the fact that you don't seem to understand "BE" even stands for (you have a caricature of it in your mind). It's a simple acknowledgment of the facts LONG on the ground. It doesn't seek to create something new that doesnt' exist already. Everyone knows that there are communities of Gentile believers (Christian churches all around the world) and there are communities of Jewish Yeshua followers who practice Judaism. BE is simply a description of the fact that two can exist together without requiring one to assimilate into another. It's not proposing something that doesn't already exist. It just describes it.

One-Law and Two House ideologues reject Christianity. They wish it went away. They think that everyone on earth should be in their version of "Messianic Judaism". Talk about not getting along!

Dan Benzvi said...

"One-Law and Two House ideologues reject Christianity. They wish it went away. They think that everyone on earth should be in their version of "Messianic Judaism". Talk about not getting along! "

And then he talks about caricatures...Gene you just demonstrated the same trait you are accusing Rick for...

James said...

I'm painting a slightly more gloomy picture than what I feel, but I do experience a kind of dissonance between the sort of image the Olitzky and Littman book presents relative to accepting a non-Jewish spouse of a Jew in the Jewish world, and how at least some parts of Messianic Judaism accepts (or not) non-Jews, particularly OL and TH non-Jews (and let's face it, probably only a small percentage of Christians and Christian churches are "on board" from a BE perspective).

I'm not "crying in my oatmeal" about me but rather people who I know in "the movement", including people who belong to my own congregation, who are not of "bad intent" but who would get shuffled aside by BE, simply because of what they were taught to believe. Remember, back when we were young and stupid, a lot of what FFOZ taught was One Law and, for the most part, there were no other options presented.

I don't think BE understands the effort that goes into an OL person making a paradigm shift to see beyond that perspective. I should probably be considered an "expert" on the subject, since it's what I've been experiencing for a long time, now.

I'd rather not have every non-Jew who hasn't consumed the MJ/BE Kool-Aid tossed into the same bucket and then tossed outside the community when, given a chance, they could also be assets, just as I have been characterized an asset.

Yeshua's famous comment about marriage echoes Genesis in that "two have been made one" and "what God has joined together, let no one split apart". Don't get nervous. When a man and a woman are "made one", they aren't joined at the hip, nor do they lose their individual and gender distinctiveness. Jews and Gentiles don't have to "fuse" but they do have to be "one in purpose", just as Yeshua said he and the Father were "one (in purpose)".

God isn't going to let a "marriage" He put together (Jews and Gentiles who are disciples of the Messiah) be pulled apart...at least not in the long run. True, there may be individual people who won't accept God's "joining" and whatever His final method may be of "sealing the deal", but the remnant of the faithful will be there...Jew and Gentile alike, at the feast of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Dan Benzvi said...

Right on James.

Be's pictures of a "marriage" is the husband and wife living in different houses. Now, this is a caricature for you....

Gene Shlomovich said...

"I'd rather not have every non-Jew who hasn't consumed the MJ/BE Kool-Aid tossed into the same bucket and then tossed outside the community when, given a chance, they could also be assets, just as I have been characterized an asset."

James - you gave yourself a chance to rethink some of your long-held assumptions without even so much as stepping with one foot inside an MJ congregation. Now you may be mentally prepared to join an MJ congregation if that's what you wanted - I am assuming nothing). But what happens when One-Law/Two-House folks who are NOT ready, who go off to join an MJs synagogue with all kinds of wrong expectations BEFORE they thought this through? We've all seen what happens - they go off angry that their expectation have not been met and their theologies rejected.

James said...

To be fair Dan, I don't think Kinzer's intent was to kick all of the Gentiles back across the border, but to try to express some "corrections" in how the church understands Jews who worship Yeshua as the Messiah.

That said, I think the door swings both ways. If Messianic Judaism intends to resume a place of "authority" over the body of believers in preparation for the Messiah's return, they will need to come to terms and to learn to understand their Gentile constituents. Most One Law people are operating off of information originally provided to them by FFOZ, which was and I believe continues to be a reliable information source (no, you don't have to agree with me).

Many of these people aren't evil or bad, they are people who are doing the best they can with the information they've got (and that's what everyone does).

The Torah talks about helping your "enemy" pick up his overloaded donkey, even if you don't want to. Yeshua uses the parable of the Samaritan to show that your "neighbor" may be someone you wouldn't necessarily like. If someone doesn't like you, treat them kindly anyway. If you treat a group like the enemy, they'll respond that way. If you treat them like a friend and establish relationship with them at some level, they'll be more likely to listen to your message.

Gene Shlomovich said...

"Be's pictures of a "marriage" is the husband and wife living in different houses."

Yeah, sort of like "Christian Gentiles" over here" and "One-Law Gentiles" over here. I get it.

James said...

Good question, Gene. I don't have an absolute answer to give you, but that just means I have a lot of company, because no one has a concrete solution to offer.

I sometimes wonder if I'm unique in being able to re-think my original assumptions. If that's true, then all my hopes for all those other people are in vain. However, I don't think I'm all that special.

What can we do to engage people right where they are (not suggesting they move or do anything to change stuff yet) and enter into a dialogue? I admit, this would be difficult, but it's exactly what Kinzer's PMJ book tries to do. Kinzer isn't suggesting that Christians leave the church, just change the way that the church understands Messianic Jews.

What if you could approach OL/TH Gentiles the same way? I'm not naive. I know a lot of those congregations won't listen, no matter how patient you are, but at least they'd have been given the chance to hear the message in a non-adversarial manner.

However, there would (I think) be people like me who would start to wonder. Doubt would enter their minds. They might start investigating your message.

But they'll never get that chance if the main message they get is that "you're the enemy..go away".

For those who don't come on board then they don't come on board. You can't reach everyone and the world will continue to be imperfect. Maybe OL and TH congregations will all disappear in the next five or ten years. If so, then your problem is solved. If not, there's not much you can do about it anyway, except to love God and to treat others as you would have them treat you.

Yeshua will sort out the rest of it when he gets back.

Gene Shlomovich said...

"What if you could approach OL/TH Gentiles the same way? I'm not naive. I know a lot of those congregations won't listen, no matter how patient you are, but at least they'd have been given the chance to hear the message in a non-adversarial manner."

James, that's my goal. That's the goal of folks like FFOZ. Educating folks. I don't brand people, I brand theologies (like supersessionism) and show where they can be found. I've had One-Law people e-mail me directly seeking answers after finding my blog. The truth is painful sometimes, but it may be a wake-up call to some - "WHOA, I've been involved in what? I had no idea!" - that they need to be careful about who they listen to.

James said...

James, that's my goal. That's the goal of folks like FFOZ. Educating folks. I don't brand people, I brand theologies (like supersessionism) and show where they can be found. I've had One-Law people e-mail me directly seeking answers after finding my blog.

That sounds very good. If you (or Messianic Judaism) is approachable then people will approach. But as we've recently seen, if phrased badly, the message can (and will) be taken personally, as if it's directed at the individual, rather than an ideology or theology. Same thing when approaching a church.

If people are willing to listen, that's great. If not, then you probably won't change their minds no matter what and it's best to just let them be.

Dan Benzvi said...

Right, just like all the non-Jews who left MJ UMJC style because they were discriminated against....

Sometimes it is painful to look at the mirror, right Gene?

Gene Shlomovich said...

"Sometimes it is painful to look at the mirror, right Gene?"

Yes, sometimes it is, Dan. Thank G-d there's Yeshua for that.

Rick Spurlock said...

And then he talks about caricatures...Gene you just demonstrated the same trait you are accusing Rick for...

LOL. Everytime I read something like what Gene did I simply laugh. It is funny when people can't see their own nose. I include myself. I love irony.

Gene Shlomovich said...

"LOL. Everytime I read something like what Gene did I simply laugh. It is funny when people can't see their own nose. I include myself. I love irony."

Rick, Jews have no problems seeing their noses:)

James said...

Rick, Jews have no problems seeing their noses:)

Gosh, Gene. Are you perpetuating a cultural stereotype? :-P

Gene Shlomovich said...

"Gosh, Gene. Are you perpetuating a cultural stereotype? :-P"

Yes, I am! Actually, I have a fairly small shnoz (thanks Mom!), but my Dad's is a classic stereotype:)

So, may be Rick has a point in my case:)

Dan Benzvi said...

" Jews have no problems seeing their noses:) "

LOL! The best thing you wrote in a long time....

Gene Shlomovich said...

"LOL! The best thing you wrote in a long time...."

Thanks!?!?!

James said...

Just an FYI.

I posted a review of Toby Janicki's booklet "Tefillin, A Study of the Commandment of Tefillin" on my congregation's blog. While primarily a book review, it also addresses some of the issues we've been discussing lately, so you may want to pop on over and take a look.