Friday, February 18, 2011

The Conscience of the King

I'll have grounds
More relative than this—the play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.

-Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 603–605

My point today doesn't have much to do with Hamlet's scene to verify whether or not his uncle murdered his father (the former King) by inserting a few well placed lines in a play Claudius will be watching, just to see if he'll react, but I like the quote and it is the title of a Star Trek original series episode.

My real point is how people sometimes treat the King as a commoner. We don't see this sort of behavior in the Bible accounts of the life of Jesus (Yeshua) ever, yet in the church today, we see and hear many people refer to the Master, Lord, and Messiah as if he were a cuddly teddy bear. I won't quote what specific individuals have said, but I have heard people in casual conversation talk about climbing in Jesus's lap, as if they were a small child (these are adults we're talking about), cuddling with him when going to sleep, and I've heard people, when addressing God the Father in prayer, referring to Him as "Daddy."

Daddy?

This last bit comes from a misunderstanding of the Hebrew word "Abba", which is a less formal version of the word "Av" meaning "Father". "Abba" doesn't actually translate into "Daddy" and it's not that familiar a term. It is usually said by smaller children when addressing their fathers, but even if Jesus used the word when addressing God the Father, it doesn't mean we have the same license to treat the All-Powerful Creator of the Universe in such a fashion.

Fortunately, God is forgiving of our misunderstandings, but just how do you treat a King?
Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” -Jude 1:14-15
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. -Revelation 1:17-18
Notice that John, when he saw the living Messiah, didn't run up to him and give him a great, big hug. He fell at the Master's feet "as though dead." Of course, Jesus did tell John not to be afraid, for John was given this vision for a reason, but it doesn't mean that the living Word of God is someone to be treated as if he were your favorite uncle, either. Look how a similar vision affected the Prophet Daniel:
In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. I, Daniel, was troubled in spirit, and the visions that passed through my mind disturbed me. -Daniel 7:13-15
God, the King of Eternity, is not some sort of "cosmic cuddle toy" nor is the Son of God, the Messiah, our High Priest in the Heavenly Court (Hebrews 4:14-16) someone upon whose shoulder we can rest our head as if he were a "boyfriend" or "lover".

I'm not naive nor completely insensitive. I know that many believers carry hurts and grief and need a personal comforter. Often, people in their lives have let them down and they don't have someone with whom they can rely, especially when, like most of us, they (we) "need a hug". Many Pastors and Sunday school teachers tell their listeners that Jesus is incredibly approachable, lovable, loving, fluffy, huggy, and every body's best friend. However, when he returns to us, he will be none of those things:
I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. -Revelation 19:11-15
Frankly, I wouldn't want to get in his way.

This isn't to say that Jesus isn't reliable, compassionate, understanding, or that he's unwilling to give us a hand. After all, he died for us, suffered the punishment for all of our sins for us, and when we pray in his name, he intercedes for us with the Father...and a whole bunch of us pray a lot.

It does mean that he deserves proper honor and respect. We tend to forget how to treat a king, because, especially in the U.S., we have no real respect for authority, including our own President. In ancient times, one did not simply walk up to a king and say "Hi, bud. What's happening?" Esther (Hadassah) was married to a king and even she, as a queen, couldn't approach him with impunity:
Hathak went back and reported to Esther what Mordecai had said. Then she instructed him to say to Mordecai, “All the king’s officials and the people of the royal provinces know that for any man or woman who approaches the king in the inner court without being summoned the king has but one law: that they be put to death unless the king extends the gold scepter to them and spares their lives. But thirty days have passed since I was called to go to the king.” -Esther 4:9-11
For the sake of her people, Esther fasts and prays for three days, summons her courage, and approaches her husband the king, risking certain death:
On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance. When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her and held out to her the gold scepter that was in his hand. So Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter. -Esther 5:1-2
Fortunately King Xerxes (Ahasuerus) was pleased at the sight of Esther and extended his scepter, allowing her to approach. The Master is merciful and gracious to us, allowing us to approach the King whenever we need to, regardless of our circumstances:
“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” -Matthew 18:19-20
"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" -John 14:13-14
"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" -1 John 5:14-15
My previous reference of Hebrews 4 establishes for us that our High Priest understands and empathizes with us because he too has lived a completely human life. He knows about our struggles, pains, and sorrows, for he experienced the same things we do now, with only one difference; he never sinned.

We can pray to Jesus and rely on him as our intercessor with the Father. He is our Savior and King; our protector and comforter. Yet, we need to remember always, that this isn't Uncle Buck we're "snuggling up to"; this is the living Word who became flesh for our sakes and who will return in all of his glory, in majesty and honor...and he will be fearsome!
By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear. -Isaiah 45:23

It is written: “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’” -Romans 14:11
Good Shabbos.


The road is long and often, we travel in the dark.

5 comments:

Gene Shlomovich said...

Great post, James. As the saying goes: "familiarity breeds contempt". In this case, it breeds "Jesus is my best buddy" attitude. When Jews pray the Amidah prayer, we stand at attention because we are before the Sovereign King of the Universe.

People prostrated themselves before King David - how much more so before Melech HaMaschiach?

James said...

Agreed. I am deeply troubled by the infusion of familiarity that Christians are often taught to have in the presence of King Messiah. While I have only sympathy for those who are deeply hurt or troubled and who need a comforter, even Esther couldn't approach her own husband, the King, with casual intent. Should we not honor and respect a King who is responsible for the Creation of everything?

To anyone who may be "lurking" out there, I don't say all this to be offensive or decisive but to open a dialog on a subject that we don't discuss very often. I invite you to post your comments and viewpoints, regardless of whether or not you agree with my position. I'm not trying to create divisions and controversies but instead, to provide an environment where we can discuss and learn from each other.

michelle said...

James,

Great post, I agree we as a whole (the Church) don't show Jesus the Respect as a King.
One of my favorite painting of Jesus is of him comforting a small child, because I need to see that side of him. As a mother I can relate to comforting & sheltering my own children. I can't help by believe he loves us like this too, but so much deeper than we can imagine.
I also have some touble with people being too casual with the Lord. The laughing in the spirit thing that happens at church is one of those things, I know it's real, but not so sure it's allways in the spirit. Don't get me wrong, i know it's real. I just think there's a time and place for it.
And the song,(I am a friend of G-d)I really do like that song, but feel a little guilty about singing it, I mean, am i really a friend of G-d?
The Bible says if G-d is for us who can be against us. So I take that he has got our back. So thats like a friend right? I will fight for my close friends, that's the way i like to think of the Lord. He does fight my battles, even the stuff I can't see. He is so Good.

James said...

Abraham was called "God's friend" and Moses spoke to God "face-to-face" as one man speaks to another, so there is a precedent for having a close, intimate relationship with the Almighty. That said, few of us are like Abraham or Moses, so we might not want to take the example too far.

I don't disagree that God wants us to draw close to Him and that Jesus is there to comfort us in times of distress. I don't mean to say that he sits far off and only presents a stern face to us.

What I am saying is that there are some practices in the church that take the relationship too far, in my opinion. While Abraham and Moses have a great closeness with God, you never see them referring to God as if He were a child's stuffed animal or blanket.

However, the church is called "the bride of Christ" and in the Tanakh (Old Testament), God often refers to Israel as His bride, so the Bible is using a picture of a type of intimacy to describe who we are with the Messiah and our existence in relation to God.

James said...

I read this in my studies this morning and thought it appropriate:

R’ Yannai states: You should always have the fear of the king upon you

R’ Yannai teaches that one should always have awe for the king. His proof is from Moshe Rabbeinu’s statement to Pharaoh warning of makas bechoros that all of Pharaoh’s servants would come running to Moshe. Moshe Rabbeinu did not mention that Pharaoh would also come running to Moshe Rabbeinu because that would have been disrespectful to the king. Teshuvas Chasam Sofer1 wrote that one is Biblically obligated to honor any king who possesses the prerequisites necessary for one to make the beracha on a king (See Shulchan Aruch 224:8 with Mishnah Berurah 8). He derived support for his position from our Gemara that relates that Moshe Rabbeinu showed honor to Pharaoh and Eliyahu Hanavi to Achav. The respect they showed was not out of fear that Pharaoh or Achav would kill them; rather it was due to the Biblical imperative to show honor to kings. Based on this principle Chasam Sofer entertained the possibility that one would be permitted to cut his hair to show honor to the king even during a time in which haircutting is not permitted. This requirement to be well groomed when meeting with a king is evident from the fact that Yosef’s hair was cut before he was brought to Pharaoh (See Breishis 41:14).

A similar question was sent to Chasam Sofer from the community of Vienna2. The Kaiser was coming to visit and numerous preparations were made in the Beis HaKnesses to sing songs of praise and thanksgiving to Hashem and to pray on behalf of the king and his descendants. Chasam Sofer wrote that not only are they obligated to honor the king but they must also display honor to a degree that is noticeably more than the honor that the gentiles show the king. The reason this is such an important principle is that not only is it logical to show honor and respect to the one who runs the government but it is also a mandate from the Torah to show respect and give honor to kings.

Honoring a king who is wicked
Halacha Highlight
Number 2183
Zevachim 102