Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Let My Soul Be Like Dust

To those who curse me, let my soul be silent; and let my soul be like dust to everyone.

Yom Kippur is a day we afflict our souls and recall our sins against God and against other people. Do not forget that being redeemed by the blood of the Messiah doesn't mean we can act with impunity or ignore the commands of God in order to pursue our own desires. The Bible tells us that when Israel acted in such a way, God would remind them, often painfully. Before God must remind you or me, let us rend our hearts and not our garments and cry out to Him for mercy. Let us return to Him that He might return to us.

There is no soundness in my flesh because of Your fury, no peace in my bones because of my sin. For my iniquities have inundated me; like a heavy load, they are burdensome beyond me. Putrid and rotted are my sores, because of my folly. I am bent and exceedingly bowed, all day long in bleakness I go about. For my loins are full of a loathsome affliction and there is no soundness in my flesh. I am faint and exceedingly crushed. I roar from the groaning of my heart. O Lord, before You in all my yearning, my sighing is not concealed from You. -Psalm 38:4-10
But let there be hope, lest we be swallowed by the abyss of dispair.
Make me hear joy and gladness, may the bones that You crushed exult. -Psalm 51:10

No comments: