Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ashes and Flight

Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother. -Kahlil Gibran

In the process of re-evaluating my understanding of my role in the realm of God and whatever connection I may (or may not) have with the nation of Israel through the blood of the Messiah, I've spent (as I'm sure you well know) a significant amount of time deconstructing my theology and stripping it down to its base components. I can't say the process has been painless and a significant amount of doubt has entered my life as a result. In one sense, I wish this journey on every person of faith because for all its difficulty, there are great rewards not only at the end of the road, but at every milepost. In another way, I wouldn't wish this "discomfort" on my worst enemy in life. It's like deliberately inviting the following:
But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does. -James 1:6-8
In my case, this is meant to be a temporary condition, but it's not a pleasant thing to say to yourself and to ask other people, How do I know what I think I know?"

Although I've only been asking these sorts of questions on my personal blog for the last month (which is the reason I created this blog in the first place), I've been pursuing this line of inquiry for a great deal longer, sometimes on my congregation's blog. For instance, in trying to imagine what a mixed Jewish-Gentile congregation might look like in a first century Messianic synagogue, I wrote Friday Night in the First Century Church. Some of my understanding has shifted just a bit since I wrote that article, but it does capture the essence of my quest to understand how to worship the Jewish Messiah as a Gentile believer.

I've also tried to get a better understanding of how Judaism (the larger Judaism, not Messianic Judaism, specifically) sees and understands Gentiles and our place in the world. This isn't as irrelevant as you might imagine. If the current expression of Messianic Judaism (MJ) and particularly those congregations that embrace the Bilateral Ecclesiology (BE) perspective truly encompass a Jewish world view, then understanding how believing Gentiles fit in to the believing Jewish paradigm should be very connected to how Judaism as a whole sees the non-Jewish world.

To that end, I tried to explore the topic in an article called What Does the Talmud Say About Gentiles? Interestingly, I received almost no comments in response to this particular article, perhaps because the One Law (OL) movement has little or no interest in the Talmudic commentary on non-Jews.

Reliable online sources for this information are scarce, but I was able to come up with a body of information that seemed to support a Jewish view of Gentiles as indeed being "created in the image of God" and out of that, a Jewish response to Gentiles that may surprise some, even those who are part of the Messianic Jewish movement.

I'm beginning to realize that it may be because Gentiles are grafted in to the root of the "civilized olive tree" that Messianic Jews have a harder time dealing with believing Gentiles (at least those of us who operate within "the movement") than traditional rabbinic Jews. I think I've said before that, because the larger body of Judaism doesn't see Gentiles grafted in to their root, the threat of "invasion" and supersessionism isn't quite as sharp. Jewish people who have willingly become a part of the Messianic Jewish movement must also (sometimes uncomfortably) deal with sheep from the Gentile pen joining the flock under the same shepherd (John 10:14-17) and the obligation of Messianic Jews to disciple to Gentiles (Matthew 28:16-20).

Yesterday afternoon, I wrote the article Ecumenical in almost a state of desperation because I found it necessary to surrender an assumption I thought I'd never have to give up; the lack of an original Messianic worship template that included both Gentiles and Jews. One fragment of my plan of hope in finding a greater peace between Jewish and Gentile "Messianics" was shot down in flames like Snoopy's Sopwith Camel taking a nosedive thanks, once again, to the Red Baron.

It's amazing what a little prayer and a good night's sleep can do. Although the good night's sleep part wasn't as complete as I needed, God is faithful and like the proverbial Phoenix, I am once again arising from my own ashes into a light of a new day. Speaking of fire metaphors:
But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness, and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD, as in days of old and as in previous years. -Malachi 3:2-4
While the Prophet Malachi is speaking to a strictly Jewish audience, Peter's commentary on Malachi allows the "refiner's fire" metaphor to be applied to Gentile believers as well:
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith – of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire – may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. -1 Peter 1:6-9
Once again, I'm pouring water on the embers, dusting the ashes off my skin, rubbing salve into the burns, and rising hopefully. I may even decide to take flight.

6 comments:

Dan Benzvi said...

James,

Does Isaiah 56:7 say: "...For my TWO HOUSES will be called houses of prayer for all the people?"

Were The Churches that Paul started had two building in every city, one for Gentiles and another one for Jews?

Scriptures affirm that as a Gentile you have a full place at the Lord's table. A FULL PLACE, not a second class place. Any attempt to pull the wool over your eyes on that issue is pure evil.. There, I said it.....

James said...

@Dan, Fear not. There are still areas left for me to explore, but I am compelled to overcome inertia and draw into question those things I was once certain of.

@Everyone, I was reading a secular article called How to fix a broken team written by Scott Berkun and it seems to me that we might want to take a look at our "issues" from a completely different direction. It could be helpful for you all to take a quick read and see if some of Berkun's insights apply to us.

Mike said...

Read the link, have a thought. I have heard some sentiment, from the BE crowd, that the 'One Law' guys are somehow detrimental to the MJM. Its as if they are not 'part of the team.'

I also think painting groups as 'One Law' is a bit too broad. One could argue all protestants believe if you are full of the Holy Spirit, you can handle rattlesnakes safely. That only applies to a one particular group. Probably a good thing. :)

It seems, with the way the UMJC is going, (and FFOZ), perhaps the gap is widening.

Allison said...

For those of us wishing to fully catch up to the discussion, could you give me a quick definition of B.E.? I am familiar with all the other "labels" being used here, but had never heard of the bilateral ecclesiology (is that right?) until when we last met on Judah's blog.

Thanks, and I promise to not need much more hand-holding. ;)

(BTW..separate note...you used the term "one down" in a previous post. I've only heard that term by people in a particular field of study. Made me make a guess at what those initials after your name may be...they may be the same as mine, not sure. Hmmmm.)

James said...

@Mike, It seems that, as the Messianic Jewish/One Law/Two-House/Torah Observant-Compliant movement continues to advance, defintions are becoming more specific. This will tend to lead to more splits and a widening gap, as you describe since the more definitions you have operating under this umbrella, the more "categories", labels, and groups are created.

I personally don't like the term "One Law" as applied to me but only because I don't believe my perspective and what I teach fits how One Law has been typically described here. My primary focus is trying to understand what the Bible is saying and, if that understanding is based on honesty and giving ear to the Holy Spirit (as opposed to human desires), solid answers will be forthcoming. In my case, the answers I'm finding aren't necessarily what I expect or even imagine, which probably means they're from God and not from me.

The goal, whether we achieve it now or after the Messiah comes, is to try and gather everyone back together under the leadership of One God and a common shepherd. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that, at least for Gentiles, there may be more than one "right" way for us to honor the One God. More on that later.

@Allison, BE stands for Bilateral Ecclesiology (I know...a mouthful). Basically, it's the thought that, since both Jews and Gentiles are operating under different (though perhaps overlapping) covenant requirements from God, in order to preserve the cultural and identity distinctiveness of each group, each group needs to worship in separate entities and live distinctively different lifestyles, while maintaining a bond and fellowship. It describes that Gentile Messianic worship grows out of the Messianic synagogue and that part of the duty of a Gentile Messinic worshiper is to provide support and allegence to Israel, including supporting the poor of Israel, as we see described in the Apostolic Scriptures.

I'm in the process of reading Mark Kinzer's book "Post-Missionary Messianic Judaism", which is the primary source for this viewpoint. Once I'm finished reading the book, I'll write a review including where I agree and disagree with Kinzer and why.

As you may have guessed, many years ago, I was a family therapist and social worker. I've since changed careers and am now an author, editor, and technical writer. Hashem has lead me in some interesting directions.

Allison said...

Thanks for the explanation. I knew of the idea, just not its title. But now I know how to 'nutshell' it with a two word title.

Yup, took you for a family therapist who would be familiar with systemic "stuff" and perhaps even the work of Jay Hayley, John Weakland, etc. Trained in Brief Strategic MRI therapy 'back in the day' after getting my MA in clinical psych. Man, that seems like forever ago. HaShem clearly has me on a different path as well. Good to find another connection. Have a good day, and keep the helpful posts coming! (No pressure) ;)