Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Embracing Your Inner Shiksa

I am a recent convert to Judaism, but I still call myself a Shiksa. Why? Because I’ve spent the majority of my life as a Gentile. I’m exploring Jewish cuisine with an open mind and heart. I am happy that I was born a Shiksa; it made me who I am today. Judaism is my spiritual path, but I will never forget where I came from. Plus, “The Convert In The Kitchen” doesn’t sound quite as cute, does it? ;)

Tori Avey
from The Shiksa in the Kitchen

I came across Tori Avey on twitter and was intrigued. Actually, after my last few rather somber blog posts, I needed an emotional and spiritual pick-me-up and "the shiksa in the kitchen" seemed to fill the bill.

I've read a number of books on conversion to Judaism lately and, from what I understand, most converts want to keep a low profile, despite the fact that the Torah commands Israel not to oppress the convert and not to treat them any differently than "born-Jews". Human nature (Jewish or otherwise) tells me that there's plenty of "treating differently" that still goes on.

That's why it's a little surprising to me that Avey not only is so upfront and public about being a convert, but refers to herself as a "shiksa" (I always picture shiksas as blond for some reason, which certainly isn't Avey).

I authentically have to admire and congratulate Avey for openly blogging the Shiksa is Jewish! She must have a very supportive family and synagogue to feel so comfortable in sharing her world with the rest of us. Either that, or she possesses boundless amounts of courage and self-confidence. Ether way, I kind of envy her.
As many of you know, the word shiksa means a non-Jewish woman. Some of you may be wondering, “Is she still going to be called The Shiksa In The Kitchen?” I answer that question with an enthusiastic yes! Historically, the word Shiksa has been used in a derogatory way — meant to convey that the “Shiksa” is somehow “less than” somebody born into Judaism. Rather than shy away from the word, I choose to let my background empower me. I have no shame that I was born a Shiksa; I am exploring Judaism through the eyes of somebody newly reborn and thrilled to be part of the Tribe. I am happy that I was born a Shiksa; it made me who I am today. Judaism is now my spiritual path, but I will never forget where I came from. Plus, “The Convert In The Kitchen” doesn’t sound quite as cute, does it?
What's also amazing (at least compared to the Messianic blogosphere) is the comments section on her blog post which directly announces the completion of her conversion. Click the link and take a few moments to scroll down through the various congratulations and warm regards related by everyone who has chosen to express them, born-Jew and convert alike. It's quite refreshing.

Does what I'm writing have anything to do with similar blogs I've written about community lately? Absolutely!

Tori Avey found her community and a place where she is welcome to be who she is (Jewish, shiksa, and all). May God grant us all (yes, me too) the same grace...and a home.

Thanks for the blog, Tori (should, by some miracle, you ever find this post and read this).


The road is long and often, we travel in the dark...

No comments: