Monday, February 21, 2011

Traveling Alone

"Madonna said she just felt something was really missing in her life. After all the money, fame and everything, something was still missing. She came to our center where she felt she could just be herself, without the need to hide behind the curtain she always puts around herself. She can be an ordinary person. That's how she explained it to me."

Rabbi Yehuda Berg
Los Angeles Kabbalah Center
from The agent of Kabbalah

What attracts someone as unlikely to be involved in any sort of spiritual endeavour as Madonna to the study of Kabbalah? According to Rabbi Berg, as quoted above, it's a fundamental sense of emptyness or the feeling that, despite being materially successful, that something is still missing.

This is often the same reason people give for turning to Christianity, Buddhism, or some other form of religous observance and study. But Judaism, and certainly Kabbalah, aren't quite the same thing as other religious forms. For instance, Judaism doesn't seek converts and most often actively discourages people from attempting to convert. Also, Kabbalah isn't exactly a "Religion 101" class and Jewish mysticism can be very...mystic.

I find myself attracted to Judaism and sometimes I feel as if my newly-launched journey into studying the foundations of Christianity simply reinforces that attraction. I can't speak to Kabbalah, since I've never even read the Zohar (though it is on my reading list), but why are Christians and other non-Jews interested in and attracted to Judaism?

The other question that's important is, even if Gentiles are attracted to Judaism, why should Judaism, in any sense, open their doors to non-Jews? In the not-so-distant past, some Gentiles have feigned an interest and entered into Jewish study only to ultimately betray their would-be mentors. This would certainly seem to be ample motivation for Judaism to keep its doors closed. Rabbi Berg offers his perspective:
"We genuinely believe that Torah was given to everyone, and if these people come on Shabbat to listen to the Torah or on Rosh Hashana to hear the sound of the shofar, then we've done what it takes.

"We don't feel the need to convert them, and they're happy with the current situation too. We're happy to see them visit Israel because although it is the Jewish state, it has a huge attraction power."
In answering the question, "why should Gentiles reach out to Judaism?", Berg responds:
"It's a chance to broaden one's horizons. The Americans are a sort of herd, going where everyone's going. We believe people have to choose their own way. If it works for them they should use it, and if not they shouldn’t use it. There is a sort of openness in studying. There are famous people who are studying, which helps people connect."
""Torah was not only given to Jews; everything was given to everyone," Berg explains. "Kosher food is not necessarily ours either. Rabbi Shraga (Yehuda's father) says it's open to everyone and we're open to everyone in physical places too – on the Internet and through teachers teaching on Skype."
Of course, Rabbi Berg and the Kabbalah Center are not without their critics:
The Kabbalah Center is often slammed for allegedly trying to make headlines in any way, which does not match the principles of Kabbalah. "We had no intentional strategy to recruit famous people," Berg defends himself. "The way they reached us shows that it all came from them, not at all from us."
Indeed, the Kabbalah Centers are subject to widespread criticism. People say they extort money from people, advance a Torah which is distancing itself from Judaism, pretend to predict the future and adopt Christian symbols. There have even been claims that some of the content being taught in the classes is linked to anti-Semitism.
Rabbi Berg isn't the only one suggesting that Judaism and the Torah can have a wider appeal than just to the Jewish people. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach has almost made a career out of offering aspects of Judaism to non-Jews. Last November, I published a blog post reporting on his statements in the media promoting Seven Steps to Judaism for Non-Jews and one of Rabbi Boteach's better known books is Judaism for Everyone. What's going on here?

I don't have a Jewish perspective on why Jews would extend the Torah to non-Jews. Even Rabbi Berg says "There is a part in Judaism which wants it to be for Jews only", so the motivation for some Jewish Rabbis to reach a hand across the gulf that separates Jews from the rest of the world seems difficult to grasp. It is far easier to understand why Judaism would seek to isolate itself from the nations, given the long, painful, and often bloody history of how Gentiles in virtually every nation on earth, have sought to subvert, marginalize, subdue, harrass, and murder Jews.

This brings me back to the question, why are non-Jews attracted to Judaism? We don't have Jewish missionaries knocking on the doors of our homes trying to share the joys of the Torah with us. Synagogues aren't putting signs out front saying that "Everyone is welcome" and posting the times they offer services. Rabbi's aren't "televangelizing" on Saturday mornings, telling "the nations" to repent and seek the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

In fact, Messianic Judaism, the form of Judaism that by definition is most likely to seek to build a bridge between the Jewish and Christian worlds, struggles in its approach-avoidance relationship with Christianity and the Gentile disciples within their own midst (and keep in mind that in the world of psychology, "approach-avoidance" behavior is considered pathological).

I think that many Christians seek to satisfy their attraction to Judaism by joining the Messianic Jewish (MJ) world. The One Law (OL) movement within MJ is a particularly safe haven because of the basic premise in OL that Jews and Gentiles are completely equal, not only in the eyes of God, but in the observance of the mitzvot (Torah commandments). More "formal" Messianic Judaism proposes a "Bilateral Ecclesiology" approach whereby, Jews and Gentiles are equal in the sense of access to God, but not in terms of status, role, or mitzvot observance. While the majority of members in Messianic Jewish congregations are not Jewish, there is a drive in Messianic Judaism to develop a relationship with the larger Jewish community, and the presence of so many "Christians" in MJ congregations is at least an embarrassment if not actually an impediment to Jewish acceptance and community.

Despite all of the speed bumps, you still see Gentiles being drawn to the God of Jacob out of a sincere desire to find the true meaning of the God they (we) worship. Modern Christianity emphasizes belief and communal worship but tends to minimize directing the faithful to extend themselves into the world of doing charity and serving others (this isn't absolute, since many churches do have outreach and missionary programs). In contrast, Judaism promotes "deed over creed" and belief and especially spirituality as an abstract concept, are pushed to one side, in favor of "doing" the will of God, not just "feeling" it.

Judaism offers a structure that I don't think Christianity fully understands. Everyone belongs (if they're Jewish) and everyone knows their place. If you are a fairly concrete thinker, Judaism is a more understandable religious form. If you are an expansive and adventurous thinker, study of Torah and Talmud is also an attractive form of "doing" the mitzvot, since studying is a type of worship in its own right.

But does allowing Christians access to Judaism in any form make sense given the long, long history of enmity between these two "sister" religions? I sometimes wonder.

While on the surface, you can find numerous "interfaith" groups seeking to better the world based on their common values, this activity really obscures how truly alien Christianity and Judaism are to each other. The media uses the term Judeo-Christian as if there is more than a casual relationship between our two worlds but this is more of a political, rather than religious term. Christians still bristle at how Jews refuse to accept Jesus as the Jewish Messiah (and some churches still relate to Jews as "Christ-killers") and Jews still view Christian outreach with suspicion, seeing the specter of conversion and assimiilation continuing to cast a threatening shadow over a dwindling Jewish population.

As an intermarried husband (my wife is Jewish...non-Messianic), I live in a world where I walk on a bridge daily. My wife and I share children, a grandson, and a history of almost 29 years of marriage, but when she began the journey to reclaim her Judaism not many years ago, first through the Reform synagogue, and now with the Chabad, the world of religion and faith became one where we do not always easily interact. I know there are certain subjects that we do not address in conversation for the sake of peace in the home, and neither one of us is likely to be able (or in my wife's case, willing) to visit the other's place of worship.

Even having said all of that, I don't see myself surrendering my interest in Jewish study and worship. In one sense, it gives my wife and I a common platform on which to discuss God and who He is to us. On a more personal level, it provides a larger context for me to understand my own Christian faith with the realization that the Jewish people worshipped the One God and kept His Shabbat and His commandments thousands of years before the birth of Christ. I often ponder on the thought that when Moses was on Sinai immersed in the holiness of Hashem, my ancestors were no doubt making blood offerings to unspeakable pagan idols. Who am I and who is Christianity to say that the Jews have no valuable and instructive insights into the God we all claim to honor?

While I find the bridge between our two worlds compelling, and apparently so do a fair number of other non-Jews, I fear that my particular perspective is rather unique. Each of the groups I've mentioned, despite overtures of outreach and community, continue to reside within their walled castles and exist primarily to service their own members. Christians still tend to talk about improving their "witness" but emphasize transmitting a verbal message rather than offering a helping hand. Judaism, with the exceptions of people like Rabbis Berg and Boteach, continues to teach a Torah for the Jews and a distinctiveness from the nations that requires high walls and no points of entry for the Goyim. Messianic Judaism in some ways amplifies the Jewish message of separation from the nations in order to present a more "Jewish" message to larger Judaism, and the One Law movement continues to (for the most part) preach that the church is apostate and (non-Messianic) "Rabbinic" Judaism is a dead end.

I teach a message in my own little group that attempts to balance these positions and challenge some of our assumptions, but I'm only one person. Not being a dictator or a cult leader, I do not demand that my congregation (which doesn't actually "belong" to me) adhere to my view of the "world according to James", which in any event, is undergoing a continuing metamorphosis.

In the end, I can only speak for my own particular attraction to Judaism, since I see my world as a world of one; unique and even idiosyncratic. In Messianic Jewish and One Law groups, most intermarrieds share their faith, and Messianic Judaism represents a resolution rather than a conflict to a "mixed marriage". What works as a solution for most Gentile "Messianics" only furthers the divisions in my own life, including my married life.

Nevertheless, God is still there, and regardless of how anyone reading these words chooses to understand my faith and my dilemma, He is the God of all and, even though I am the merest speck floating on a vast ocean of Creation, I am still a person who was created in His image. Hopefully, that actually means something.

Assuming that God still chooses to be aware of me and my humble life and prayers, I will continue to move forward along the path upon which I now stand. I often refer to Jesus (Yeshua) as my traveling companion, but while he seems to be close at my side during some parts of the journey, at other times, I can't see him at all. It doesn't mean that he's not there (I hope), but that my perception of him has been dimmed through some lack in my own vision.

But it's that same vision that sees both Christianity and Judaism as required elements in my world of faith. I can't imagine one without the other, which again, makes me a rather odd duck, even in Messianic circles. I've noticed a significant drop off in interest on my blogspot lately, which may well mean that my journey along the path has lost its appeal to the rest of the world. While attracted to Judaism for the sake of God and to Christianity for the sake of my Savior, I still don't belong in purely one world or the other. Yet I cannot stay isolated in my small One Law group because my evolving understanding of God doesn't permit such as concrete vision of Jews and Christians as a fully fused identity, and Messianic Judaism in its most Jewish form, struggles with the very presence of people like me. Beyond that, my continued involvement in MJ/OL only serves to further separate my wife and I along the dimension of faith and especially communal worship.

I've been reading (Messianic) Jewish and Christian blog posts lately (yes, I "lurk" too) and in observing the language, concepts, and values being expressed, I realize that in all of those worlds, I am a "stranger in a strange land". I know that as a person of faith, I am most "alive" when I teach and interact with my group, but everything else in the world around me demands that I walk away from them and follow a different course. Though there are ample examples in the Bible that convince me a person of faith must be part of a convocation of worshipers, in my case, I can see no alternative but to proceed forward alone.

Will God choose to continue His relationship with me if I deliberately set myself adrift at sea?
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. -Albert Einstein

Of all the stratagems, to know when to quit is the best.
-Chinese Proverb

The road is long and often, we travel in the dark. The sky is clear as I journey, but I know a storm is coming.

16 comments:

Daniel said...

Im sure your studies will pay off, one way or the other. I also wrote quite a bit on my blog about my struggles with taking a position between Judaism and Christianity and that helped me to determine where I was and where I was heading for. It showed me in what areas I still had to sort things out and what areas I found some kind of resolution. This isnt easy especially when people are constantly warning you of slippery slopes and loss of faith. While you are actually trying to give things a fair treatment instead of deciding in advance the outcome. But its worthwhile, after some time I think your work will pay off, in my case it at least did. I realize others might disagree but in the end whats important is that you find the light that enlightens your path, i.e. a worldview that - both rationally and emotionally - makes most sense of life.

James said...

Thanks, Daniel.

Seems I'm not the only one "out here" after all.

Gene Shlomovich said...

James, I think the problem is that you were born at the wrong time. It should have either been the first century (although definitely not England, but somewhere in the Middle East, Greece or Rome), or perhaps one hundreds years from now (when, one would hope, things would settle down):)

James said...

That's certainly a thought, Gene. On the other hand (and assuming God doesn't make such mistakes and plunking people down in the wrong century), maybe "rabble rousers" and "misfits" like me have to exist in every age if, for no other reason, than to present a case for people of faith not necessarily fitting into the established mold.

On the other hand, I don't want to "exalt" myself as some sort of example. I could just be a person who likes shaking trees to see what sort of fruit drops out. ;-)

Gene Shlomovich said...

"assuming God doesn't make such mistakes and plunking people down in the wrong century"

I don't believe that G-d ever makes mistakes (hope not!), but He has been known to at least regret doing certain things at times (when it came to both creating people and putting them into a certain situation).

If it makes you feel any better, I sometimes feel that I should have been born in another time. However, was there really any time before the last 50 or 40 years or so (for me, the last 20 years) when being a Jew was good:)? Oh, well - sometimes we think that our lives are so important in the scheme of things... just until the beginning of the the last century many folks didn't even make it to their 50th birthday - they had much less time to get they "stuff" together.

Dan Benzvi said...

As a practical person I have to ask, does your wife allow you to say the blessings at the Erev Shabbat dinner table, or she forbids it because this is a Jewish tradition and you are not Jewis?

James said...

My wife tries to be "relaxed" about our observance at home and my involvement in it, but I think it would be a different matter in a public, Jewish setting.

James said...

I don't believe that G-d ever makes mistakes (hope not!), but He has been known to at least regret doing certain things at times (when it came to both creating people and putting them into a certain situation).

Egad, Gene. I certainly hope God doesn't regret creating me. I must admit though, that in my darkest hours, I've wondered about the validity of my own existence.

Oh, well - sometimes we think that our lives are so important in the scheme of things...

I've wondered that, too. Maybe my agonizing over personal and spiritual decisions is a waste of energy and emotions because, in the cosmic scheme of things, I am not that big a deal.

On the other hand, I recently posted on my congregation's blog that our purpose in life could be to act as an answer to other people's prayers. True, donating a couple of cans of food to the foodbank or offering to volunteer at a homeless shelter a couple of hours a week doesn't make you a spiritual "superstar", but if all of God's people were to do just a little bit more for others than they do now, how many prayers would be answered?

Mike said...

I have contributed a bit to your drop off on blog hits. Been real busy plowing snow. The last week, I have hardly been online. I was good for a handful of hits per post. Looked this morning and I was 10 posts back.

Rest easy, I am caught up now. lol. Sometimes I really amuse myself.

mike

James said...

I have contributed a bit to your drop off on blog hits. Been real busy plowing snow.

Sorry about the snow.

In my case, I guess there is such a thing as being too prolific as a blogger. They say "familiarity breeds contempt", but that may have to be changed to "frequency" in the case of blogging. ;-)

Allison said...

First: I will be a faithful lurker and occasional commenter as long as you put your thoughts to print, my friend. So, I'm still here--just busy with moving stuff. Blech.

Second, since I am not at all eloquent when moving my thoughts from my brain to the screen, I will simply swipe the sentiment from Daniel and agree that...

"in the end whats important is that you find the light that enlightens your path, i.e. a worldview that - both rationally and emotionally - makes most sense of life."

...and I hope and pray (for both of us) that it will be the truth, an impetus toward greater good works, and pleasing to HaShem.

Peace to you and yours~
Allison

James said...

Thank you, Allison. You are very kind. May God be with us all as we continue to travel.

Rabbi Joshua said...

Hi James,

Great post! It wrestles with very real tensions between universality and particularism; and with the draw of many non-Jews toward Judaism.

It is interesting that you bring up Rabbi Berg and the approach of the Kabbalah Center. With all its commercialism aside, it is attempting to do something very interesting - to bring the message of Judaism (and Jewish Mysticism) to a primarily non-Jewish audience. Of course this is not without some watering-down of some key Torah concepts, but the Kabbalah center is also in no way is trying to get people to convert to Judaism.

Before a Hashivenu Theological Forum a few years ago, several Messianic leaders and rabbis visited the Kabbalah Center for a Kabbalat Shabbat service. From their perspective it was almost like visiting a Messianic Congregation - with Jews and non-Jews worshiping together, transliterated prayer books, and catering to the least common denominator while retaining the elements of Judaism. Anyway, it is interesting none-the-less.

I visited the Kaballah Center once (but not for a service), I was just interested in what all the hype was about. I was shocked at the efficiency and commercialism. It is an efficient money making machine. I felt like I was attending an Amway meeting. They shuffle you into these scripted meetings, and at every turn are trying to get you to write a check for their courses and books. Very universal, and very commercial.

And yet ... people are flocking to them. Many non-Jews who are spiritually hungry and drawn to the teachings of Judaism, look to Rabbi Berg and his centers for spiritual meaning.

This should be a wake-up call to us that there are indeed seekers out there looking for a message that can bring spiritual meaning into their lives.

Just think ... what if we were to provide a similar message, but one of real Truth. And instead of Rabbi Berg, it was centered on the Jewish teachings of our Rebbe, Yeshua? Well ... that is what my dream is ... and what I'm working towards ...

We need to g further in wrestling with these tensions you raise of how to be a "Light to the Nations," and retain our role as a Covenant people. Not an easy answer - but vital none-the-less.

James said...

Just think ... what if we were to provide a similar message, but one of real Truth. And instead of Rabbi Berg, it was centered on the Jewish teachings of our Rebbe, Yeshua? Well ... that is what my dream is ... and what I'm working towards ...

We need to g further in wrestling with these tensions you raise of how to be a "Light to the Nations," and retain our role as a Covenant people. Not an easy answer - but vital none-the-less.


That is my desire as well, but Messianic Judaism (MJ) struggles with the "dynamic tension" of reaching out to vs. pushing away non-Jews as part of its journey of self-identity. MJ has an approach-avoidance relationship with Gentiles who are attracted to them, at once desiring to share the Good News of the Messiah with the nations and also pulling back from Gentiles as part of its desire for wider acceptance from the larger Jewish world.

The Kabbalah center, despite its commercialism, is able to share the Torah and Judaism with Gentiles while remaining fundamentally Jewish, so it should be possible for MJ to do the same thing. In the long run, I think it will happen, even if it takes the return of the Messiah to do it (though I hope it's sooner).

One of my goals for this blog has always been to try and promote that sort of Jewish/Gentile relationship in the Messianic world. I can't help but feel that I've failed in building the bridge, but maybe I was just ahead of the curve.

Rabbi Joshua said...

James,

"One of my goals for this blog has always been to try and promote that sort of Jewish/Gentile relationship in the Messianic world. I can't help but feel that I've failed in building the bridge, but maybe I was just ahead of the curve."

I don't think you've failed at all. You are one of the few people going against the flow. As such, we just still have a long way to travel.

James said...

I don't think you've failed at all. You are one of the few people going against the flow. As such, we just still have a long way to travel.

That may well be true, but I also probably underestimated the distance between my desires and my goal. My experiences with Jews in both Messianic and "traditional" (for lack of a better term) contexts, shows me that Jews and Christians are more unalike than we are alike. Even within the Messianic realm where all members share a common Messiah, how we perceive our interactions and relationships is strikingly dissimilar. While Jewish Messianics like you and Gene (and others) regularly converse with me, many others wouldn't touch a Gentile believer with a ten-foot pole and probably for good reasons (at least from their point of view).

However, this does make it confusing to be members of the same body of Messiah, since you'd imagine that different body parts, even radically different body parts (a foot and a spleen, for example) would be on some sort of occasional speaking terms, since we are mutually connected by a nervous system, blood flow, and contained within a single "person".

The more I read about the very early development of Christology in the time period of less than a century after the Master ascended, the more the evidence seems to show that the period of Jewish/Gentile interaction within "Messianism" was relatively brief. I don't think we can rely on the early history of "the church" to define how Jewish/Gentile interactions are supposed to happen in the 21st century. Given all of that, I'm at rather a loss to understand how our two worlds are supposed to "come along side".