Friday, February 25, 2011

Flickering

Barukh atah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha'olam
asher kidishanu b'mitz'votav v'tzivanu
l'had'lik neir shel Shabbat. (Amein)


Blessed are you, Oh Lord, our God,
King of the universe
Who has sanctified us with His commandments
and commanded us to light the lights of Shabbat. (Amen)


Shabbat Kiddush

For those of you who observe a traditional Sabbath in some manner, you probably recognize the blessing over the candles, typically recited by the woman of the household to welcome in the Shabbat:
At least two candles should be lit, representing the dual commandments to remember and to keep the sabbath. The candles are lit by the woman of the household. After lighting, she waves her hands over the candles, welcoming in the sabbath. Then she covers her eyes, so as not to see the candles before reciting the blessing...The hands are then removed from the eyes, and she looks at the candles, completing the mitzvah of lighting the candles.

Judaism 101
Probably the candle lighting ceremony in Judaism that is best known to non-Jews is the lighting of the Chanukah menorah, which symbolizes the ancient Jewish victory over their Hellenistic oppressors and the cleansing and rededication of the Temple of God.

In Judaism, and in other religious traditions, candles or light represent a state of spiritual illumination and even a guide on the path of holiness.
Your Word is a lamp unto my feet
and a light unto my path
-Psalm 119:105

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. -Matthew 5:14-16
We see a strong image in these verses that both the Word of God and His living Word, the Jewish Messiah, are our light and our guide on the journey of holiness set before us by our Creator. And while God and Jesus (Yeshua) can never fail to be our light, the light within each of us is not invulnerable. Like any living thing, the Spirit; the light within each of us, must be protected, fed, and nurtured, or it will dim and finally fade away.
We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away
So raise the candles high, 'cause if you don't
We could stay black against the night
Oh raise them higher again and if you do
We could stay dry against the rain


Melanie Safka
Lay Down (1970)
Even in popular songs (from when I was young, anyway), candles are used to symbolize the same things as in the world of faith. Without the light that God gives to each of us, we will "stay black against the night". The parable of the ten virgins (Matthew 25:1-13) abundantly warns us against the dangers of allowing our lamps to run out of oil, and both oil and light in the Bible often represent the Spirit of God.

I should be happy that another Sabbath is approaching. Friday is here, the work week is winding down, and tonight, I have the privilege of watching my wife light the Shabbos candles and witnessing a special holiness enter my small home. At once, it's such a simple and yet magnificent event. On many occasions, it is the candle lighting is the biggest joy of my Sabbath experience.

But like some other Fridays, I approach the Shabbat with a mixed sense of anticipation and melancholy. I find that the uncertainty of the future of my faith and the congregation where I currently worship, has cast a shadow over my rest that even the light within me cannot overcome. Then again, maybe it's my candle that is burning low. The wick is almost exhausted and the oil is all but consumed.
I'm holding out my only candle, though it's so little light to find my way
Now this story's been laid beneath my candle
And it's shorter every hour as it reaches for the day
Yes, I feel just like a candle in the way


Jackson Browne
Song for Adam (1972)
Like most people in the dark, my eyes are searching for some source of light I can focus upon, no matter how faint. I keep looking around me, but my sight is growing dim and my eyes are getting weary. Or is it just that the only light I'm looking vainly for is the one that is supposed to be within me? Where is the "light upon my path" I am trying to find?
Oh people, look among you
It`s there your hope must lie
There`s a sea bird above you
Gliding in one place like Jesus in the sky
We all must do the best we can
And then hang on to that Gospel plow
When my life is over, I`m going to stand before the Father
But the sisters of the sun are going to rock me on the water now


Jackson Brown
Rock Me on the Water (1972)
This is why we can never let ourselves be isolated and alone. Most of us, or maybe I'm only speaking for myself, can't sustain our "lights to the world" very long without support. The ten virgins were ten, after all, and they had each other for comfort and encouragement if need be, while waiting for the groom to arrive.

Melanie Safka's classic lyrics say that we either hold our candles high or we "stay black against the night". The world we live in is dark and the only light we can see by is the one we accept from God. But having accepted it, we must nurture and protect it. For that, we need help. If that help is not forthcoming, we're like a candle in the wind.
And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the rain set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did


Elton John and Bernie Taupin
Candle in the Wind (1973)
This song was written in memory of actress Marilyn Monroe, but it describes all of us; it describes me. Jackson Browne's lyrics speak of a hope within each of us, a connection to Jesus "in the sky" and a future standing "before the Father". John's and Taupin's song speaks of a life lived in loneliness and a flame that did not survive the struggle to stay aglow.

Perhaps, knowing all this, the custom of candle lighting to welcome in the Shabbat exists to remind us that we are not alone in the dark. There is a light shining in the blackness and even though it sometimes seems dim and far away, it is always there. Even when the light within us threatens to be extinguished, His light can never fail. If only I can keep my eyes on the light and not give in to the shadowy abyss.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The road is long and often, we travel in the dark.

No comments: