Sunday, December 19, 2010

When Shabbat Meets Christmas

This sense of missing something kept gnawing at me, until one day I realized what it was: I missed the Christmas season. I missed that time of year in America. At first I denied it. Growing up in an Orthodox Jewish home and in yeshivas, I had obviously never celebrated Christmas. How could I miss something that I never had? And being so Jewish, how could I miss the quintessential Christian holiday? It seemed religiously wrong, maybe even sinful.
Dennis Prager
A Yeshiva boy and Christmas

I discovered this article early this morning on twitter and found it fascinating. Particularly in the Messianic movement, we make a specific effort to separate our worship of the Messiah from Christmas or Easter in order to establish and maintain the "Jewishness" of Messianism. Prager's article indicates that in the larger Jewish world, that separation doesn't have to be absolute.

I decided to take time out from what I should be doing (I have one more paid authoring assignment due before the end of the year) and to briefly blog about this matter. I specifically wanted to address the events of this particular year. You probably know why.

The upcoming Shabbat starts on Christmas Eve and ends on Christmas Day. Just one week later, Shabbat worship competes with New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

In traditional Judaism, this isn't much of a point. In fact, my wife is helping out at the Chabad on Christmas Eve (well, the Erev Shabbat of December 24th, anyway) to cook a traditional Chinese meal (on the east coast in areas with a large Jewish population, Chinese restaurants serve Kosher meals on Christmas since Jews, who have the time off from work but who don't celebrate Christmas, have time on their hands). I don't imagine that there's a Reform, Conservative, or Orthodox synagogue in America that would even consider closing their doors because Shabbat falls on December 25th or January 1st and for the church, it is a complete "non-issue".

But closing our doors for two consecutive Shabbats exactly what my congregation is doing this year. I posted the notice on our website and sent out a broadcast email this morning.

I feel sad and even a little guilty for doing this, but that board decided that we would likely have few, if any, members or guests attending on either of those two dates.

But is it the right thing to do? I don't know. We presented it to the people who attended services yesterday (It snowed early, so we didn't have a stellar crowd) and no one objected. We already have members who'll be out of town over "the holidays" so attendence is dwindling as December advances. If we were a larger congregation, we likely wouldn't have made this decision, but we are a rather modest group.

What about you? All Messianic congregations are facing this "scheduling conflict" this year. How is your congregation managing this?

I'll wrap up my missive with another quote from Prager's article:
It is that season now, and I never fail to get goose bumps when I hear Burl Ives sing “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas,” let alone when I attend a live performance of Handel’s “Messiah,” surely the most glorious religious music ever composed. I love hearing people wish each other “Merry Christmas.” When my yarmulke-wearing children were younger, I used to take them to see beautiful Christmas lights on homes.

Those who wish to remove Christmas trees from banks and colleges and other places where Americans gather are not only attempting to rob the 90 percent of Americans who celebrate Christmas of their holiday, they are robbing this committed Jew, too.
Comments?

9 comments:

Rick Spurlock said...

No Christmas conflict for the large "Cultural Messianic" congregation and the smaller "Orthdox Messianic" congregation in our town. We simply don't do Christmas. We don't do Kwanza or Ramadan either. Christmas isn't our holiday.

We know Christian folks who celebrate Christmas, which is fine for them - and no matter what Janiki thinks, many (if not most) Messianics don't think its "pagan origins" are the issue. Like I said, we don't do Kwanza either.

James said...

Our congregation doesn't "do" Christmas either, though I am aware that some, perhaps most of our members have loved ones who still do celebrate Christmas. The "conflict" for us is whether or not we'd have many people attending on the 25th, given the family obligations they'd be facing or, in fact, that they wouldn't be in town for that particular Shabbat.

While most of our congregation doesn't come from a cultural or religious background where they'd ever celebrate Ramadan or Kwanza, the vast majority do come from family and religious background where they once would have celebrated Christmas.

Gene Shlomovich said...

I think that Christmas (celebrated for its spiritual meaning, not consumerism) is a wonderful Messiah honoring Gentile tradition. Jews have their traditions, so I think that Gentiles have every right to develop and celebrate theirs. I, for one, have sent all my Gentile friends beautiful Christmas cards.

James said...

Gene, you seem more in line with Dennis Prager's position on Christmas than the Messianic community, or at least the Gentile Messianic community. I don't think people who've been raised ethnically and religiously as Jews take Christmas "personally". However, I have met a number of non-Jews in "the movement" who go around acting like the church betrayed them and now they have some sort of theological axe to grind.

I've gotten a few comments on my Messianic Christmas blog post from people who really need to calm down a bit, or who need to listen to a teacher who advocates a dose of common sense.

James said...

Thought I'd share this. It was posted on twitter by an American Jew who made aliyah and is now living in Israel.

I noticed that while living in chu"l Jews would never wish each other Merry Christmas or the like. After aliya they do so as standard fare.

Gene Shlomovich said...

"I noticed that while living in chu"l Jews would never wish each other Merry Christmas or the like. After aliya they do so as standard fare."

That funny! I wonder though, how spread out this practice is. It's highly doubtful that any religious Jews would do that. Perhaps the seculars do this out of jest:) In any case, once in the Land, Jews are much less threatened by assimilation, physically or emotionally.

James said...

Maybe it's tied in with the sentiment expressed in Dennis Prager's article (the link to the story is in the body of this blog post). I suspect, if there's a connection, that these are a group of American Jews wishing each other a "Merry Christmas".

I agree that Israel probably presents a less "threatening" environment for Jews expressing such a sentiment. In jest? Perhaps, though I hope not. If true, it would mean that these Jews were taking a cheap shot at Christians and the last time I looked, there were still a few of them living in Israel.

I got the definite impression from the person "tweeting" this message that it wasn't just a joke, but who knows in a text-only environment?

Judah Gabriel Himango said...

+1 for the reference to Dennis Prager. That guy is a wonderfully articulate man who encourages good relations between Christians and Jews.

Dennis Prager hosts a radio show where he talks about God, human happiness, male/female differences, moderate conservative politics. Great show, there's very few media shows I'd recommend, and Prager tops the list.

James said...

Thanks for the "heads up", Judah. I think I've heard of Prager's show at some point. ;-)